Oscilloscope suggestions

Hi All,

Looking for feedback about oscilloscopes, considering the ubiquitous Rigol ds1052e but would love to know if anyone has tried any of the hand-held dso scopes.

Cheers Michael.

hi Mika

I own a DSO Quad hand-held scope. The only thing the Quad has going for it is that it’s portable, so I’ve used it a few times to debug things where I didn’t have 240V power or a big work area.

But for situations where you have room for a bench scope, the hand-held ones will drive you crazy. The tiny buttons and confusing UI make it very frustrating to use. And they don’t have anywhere near the features of the bench scopes (even the low end ones).

Have you seen the 1054z? Definitely worth checking out. If I didn’t already own the Quad, I’d definitely get one of those instead - more than enough features for any hobby project. It’s a nice improvement over the 1052e (but slightly more expensive). There’s loads of EEVBlog videos about both the 1052e, 1054z and hand-held scopes.

Jim

1 Like

Thanks mate, I thought the handheld ones would get frustrating to use. I do remember hearing about the 1054z could be worth shelling out for. I just realised that emona instruments are not far from where I live. Any places you recommend for grabbing them?

I use the Rigol DS1102E and I love it to bits! Having a normal size scope is so much easier to manipulate than a handheld scope.

If you keep an eye out like I did, you may be able to pick up a second-hand one that hasn’t been used that much for around $350-$400 ($300 if you are really lucky like me).

1 Like

I got the DS-1054Z (from emona instruments) and I am very happy with my choice.

1 Like

Thanks mate, was this through the usual suspects, ebay/gumtree?