Raspberry Pi 2 Carputer Project

Hi All

So I have decided to embark on the magical journey in creating a custom designed car entertainment system and diagnostic computer and am thinking of going the Raspberry Pi route. So far this is the basic features list I want to go with;

FM/AM Radio
GPS Navigation (Google Maps preferred)
Bluetooth Audio
CD/DVD Player (on the fence with this one)
USB Media
OBD-II Diagnostics
WI-FI for Updating
Android OS Vs. Linux OS???
GSM Connectivity
Reverse Camera
Front and rear parking sensors
Internal and external temperature sensors

Now from what I’ve gathered there is a pretty much limitless ability to these things so I dont think whats on here should be a problem, except for the parking sensors, been battling with finding that stuff, so far there is an Arduino Ultasonic range finder module that I could get to work but not much else.

If anybody on here has attempted this before and has any pointers, that would be awesome.

Thanks All!

hi mate… i don’t know much, and i may be sending you down the wrong path here - but from what i’ve been reading I’m pretty sure infra-red sensors are used for distance calcs for like robots and stuff not bumping into stuff, so i would expect it to be the same for cars.

Hey mate, Thanks for your reply and I will look into it as it may work but I think car ones are ultrasonic. I know you can get Arduino controlled sonic sensors so may just run that through the Raspberry Pi?

Ultrasonic and radar are used on cars, because they are mostly immune to sunlight, road dirt, water, snow, or ice. Infrared proximity and lidar can be used, but the results are not as reliable given those environmental intrusions. Radar can miss some non-metalic barriers. Infrared can miss glass and clear plastic barriers. Ultrasonic can miss especially non-reflective foam, but that’s rarely something that people reverse into.